Tennessee in the Civil War:
The Best of the Tennessee Historical Quarterly
Since 1942, the THQ has published more than 400 articles on the Civil War in the Volunteer State. The best of these pieces are now gathered into 10 volumes—an official legacy project of the Tennessee Historical Society, the Tennessee Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, and the Tennessee Civil War National Heritage Area. Each trade-quality, soft cover book is approximately 220 pages, printed on acid-free paper, and includes illustrations, maps, and an index.
- Tennessee in the Civil War, Vol. 1, an overview of the Civil War in the Volunteer State.
- The Civil War in Appalachia, Vol. 2, focused on all aspects of the war in East Tennessee.
- The Battle of Shiloh, Vol. 3, the battle, from eye-witness accounts to preservation.
- The Battle of Stones River and the Fight for Middle Tennessee, Vol. 4, the battle, the Tullahoma Campaign, and more.
- Nathan Bedford Forrest and the Confederate Cavalry in West Tennessee, Vol. 5, looks at West Tennessee battles.
- Emancipation and the Fight for Freedom: Tennessee African Americans, 1860-1900, Vol. 6, addresses African Americans during the Civil War and Reconstruction.
- The Battles for Chattanooga, Vol. 7, the campaign for Chattanooga.
- Tennessee Women in the Civil War, Vol. 8, women’s dramatic encounters with the war and its stunning consequences.
- Hood’s Tennessee Campaign, Vol. 9, the campaign’s misery and mystery, ever after a subject of endless controversy.
- Reconstruction and the Civil War’s Legacy, Vol. 10, the struggle to restore the old order, or to build a new one.
This special series is currently offered at a special THS discount — all books are 60% off, while supplies last. Shipping and handling are included in book prices.
If you wish to order books from Tennessee and the Civil War by mail, a form is available by clicking here: 2019 THS Website Vol 1-10 Form 9.19.